Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Waltzingmouse Friends Blog Waltz - Pull On Your Boots & Grab Your Hat

It is my favorite time of the month: a blog waltz with Waltzingmouse Stamps. I had to miss last month's due to my travels, falling sick, and bad time management (<-- there I said it ;) Not this month, siree! In fact, I even finished this card a week early, just so that I had no excuse! :) In case you don't know about this fun event, you can read all about it here. Join in next month and waltz along, won't ya? It's a waltz of endless inspiration and super talented ladies!

This waltz's theme is Masculine Cards! Yes, we have those sweeties in our lives that need some love & appreciation. Sure the other gender confuses us: I mean who doesn't jump into the air and squeal "CUTE" when they see glitter, scalloped borders or ribbon? Yet, masculine cards have really grown on me ever since I adopted my first guy-ish stamp set Free Spirit, and they have practically have become my favorite challenge (thanks to Claire) to think outside of the box. So without further ado, here is another man-ly creation using my latest favorite Waltzingmouse stamps:

Yeehaw - It's your Big Day
Stamps: (Back in the Saddle, Way Out West) Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper: Paper Basics Card Stock - Kraft) Papertrey Ink
Ink: (Memento - Tuxedo Black, Versamark) Tsukineko; (Jenni Bowlin - No. 11 Brown Sugar, Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Vintage Photo) Ranger
Embellishments: (brown thread) stash


This was a really fun card to make. I masked off a frame and stamped on the background from the Way Out West set. Then decided to stamp on a silhouette of the rider with black to make him stand out more. The rest of the background is the woodgrain pattern (which I "heart" oh so much) from Way Out West stamped on with Versamark.


After everything dried, I flipped the card open to scored the frame from the back side of the card to create the frame and distressed the edges with trusty old Vintage Photo. This gave the whole card a nice old, western look (think: yellowing newspaper found flying around in ghost towns!)


Yeehaw - It's your Big Day

The fun part was stamping the sentiment onto a panel. I used the little separator from "Gee Thanks - You're a Real Wing Dinger" to use onto my sentiment "Yeehaw - It's Your Big Day" Amazing what a little bit of masking can do to stretch your stamps' utility.


Next I went nuts with my bone folder and distressed the Kraft card stock, inked it up with more Vintage Photo love. It looked a lil plain, so I decided to hand draw a made-up stitched line with pencil, pierced equal spaced holes onto the pencil line and back-stitched the entire "frame." I tried to make it look as "messy" or machine-stitched as possible - but every stitch was made by hand and lots of love :)


Hope you enjoy this masculine card. It's for a special, big milestone birthday! Can't wait to see what the rest have created. Thanks for stopping by & have a wonderful day...

19 comments:

Kary said...

Hello Ren-Yi, what a fun card!! It's really Gorgeous, & I like the sewing and the distressing. ;)

Deborah Frings said...

This is great - love the texture, the stitching and the distressing. Love your card!!

Ines said...

Hello Ren-Yi, what a fun card. You might like the one on this blog here: http://my-beautiful-paper.typepad.com/my-beautiful-paper/2011/05/my-old-blue-jeans.html Have a fab day.

Greetings from Germany, ines

Julia Aston said...

A few of us pulled out this set for our masculine card today!! love the stitched panel on yours Ren-Yi - great coloring for a 'guy' card!!

Inkyfingers said...

Hi Ren-Yi,

I love this fun, manly card and your stitched panel is awesome!

Hugs
Carol x

Cassie_lu said...

so rustic and old looking. love the combo of stitching with distressing

Joanne Gilch said...

All that back stitching did take a long time....ask me how I know!!!! wonderful card, definitely made with LOVE.

Crafty Math Chick said...

Love the weathered/aged look of your card. The stitching is a fun touch too.

Lee said...

Great card Ren-Yi. Love the woodgrain bg...that always says masculine to me!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

What a fabulous card!! Love the rustic scene you've created!! WOW!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

This is so great, Ren-Yi! I love the kraft and all of your stamping! Your stitched sentiment panel is perfect, too!

Cyndie said...

Such a neat card! You have really made the most of these Western stamps! I love your stitching details.

LaurieJ said...

Wow, you hand-stitched the frame?! Well done! It looks fantastic. Love the whole card.

Karen B. said...

I love your distressing, such a perfect masculine look!

LaurieM said...

Great card. I was surprised that it was hand stitched! Looks great!

snowbear said...

A neat card.. thanks for sharing!!

Elisa said...

Fabulous masculine card - amazing texture.

Polly Pierce said...

Oh I just love what you've done with this set! The more I see of it, the more I want it...

Hollandscsl said...

Love the weathered/aged look of your card. The stitching is a fun touch too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails