Thursday, June 23, 2011

One Simple Word - Love

With Independence Day creeping up, I see many challenges calling for "Red, Blue & White" and "4th of July" themes. As an American, I do hold this holiday near and dear to my heart, because of the privilege of living in this amazing country, based on founding principles such as "freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion." But I must sadly admit, I don't really send cards out for this holiday. I find it hard to create cards that I would normally not gift myself...Do you gals relate?

So this week's PaperPlay Challenge theme - Stars & Stripes - was difficult for me to create with. My imagination was stuck in a rut with stars, flags, Independence Day. I was almost convinced that I will be creating a Fourth of July card, when I saw what this week's sponsor Just Some Lines provided. A couple of fun digis that were not Independence Day themed, and that's when it clicked! It could be love, birthday, or encouragement theme...who cares? It's just stars & stripes!

So here is my interpretation of this week's theme:


Love
Stamps: (Emo Amber and Aleks Sitting) Just Some Lines; (Mega Mixed Messages) Papertrey Ink; (Claire Brennan Images - Star Quality) The Craft's Meow
Paper: (Paper Basics Card Stock - White) Papertrey Ink; (Basic Card Stock - White) Recollections; (Popculture - Silly String) KI Memories
Ink: (Memento - Tuxedo Black) Tsukineko
Embellishments: (Soft-core Color Pencils) Prismacolor


I'm so in love with this sweet image. I decide to paper-piece the Alek's shirt and add little hand-drawn little stars onto her dress..."Stars & Stripes sitting in a corner, singing k.i.s.s.i.n.g ..."

Love

For a fun background, I pulled out a cute star image I have been dying to use. I purchased it along with one of The Craft's Meow kit and it was designed by Claire Brennan (the Waltzing Mouse) herself. I think creating everything in black and white and giving just the two some color really works...The rest of the card kinda says it all, and didn't require much more: just a hand-drawn line to give Amber and Aleks a "wall" to hang out on and a little "Love" sentiment. Voila!

Love

Did you enjoy that? If so, head over to the rest of the PaperPlay Design Team and come play along with us this week!

By the time this challenge closes, I'll be with chilling with my extended family (who are visiting from the UK) on a beach, enjoying a good read, some volleyball, and lots of sun & ocean! If you are celebrating Independence Day, what are your plans for the Fourth?

4 comments:

Jacki Daniels said...

Just found your blog and I have to say I love this card it's beautiful so much detail and all done wonderfully love it
Jacki xx

Just Some Lines Digital Stamps said...

Oh WOW! This is a fanatic card. I really like the layout and all:)

Laurie Marmon said...

Very cute! :) The images you used are super cute. I like the black and white technique you did too.

Jennifer Lo said...

great colors and layout!

Related Posts with Thumbnails